If you need to configure many devices, you may prefer to create a videokiosk.settings XML file which you can copy to each device rather than having to manually configure the settings on every device. Using the same Settings XML file on every device is not only a much faster way to configure the Video Kiosk settings, but if you use the Cloud Update feature, you update the Settings XML file on your computer, and Video Kiosk will update itself using the modified settings after a short period of time.
When using a Settings XML file, make sure to use Video Kiosk’s Standard Folder Layout since Video Kiosk will only automatically find the Settings XML file if you place it at the following path:
To use an Settings XML file to control the device settings, follow these steps:
- Create the File. In a Text Editor, create a Settings XML file. For more information, refer to the Video Kiosk Settings XML Syntax Guide below.
- Name the File. Ensure that you’ve named the file “videokiosk.settings.xml”.
- Move the File. Move the file onto the device either using a usb cable or over the cloud using the Cloud Update feature.
There is a Video Kiosk Settings XML File Sample Kit available for download. In it are some sample Settings XML project. You can use it to see what a project might look like and then use the Settings XML File in the project to make one of your own.
Download the sample kit from:
Each of the sample Settings XML File contains both a Settings XML File and the media files to display the sample. The easiest way to implement a Settings XML File is to do the following:
- Use the example on your Android device and get it running with the sample media.
- Modify the sample Settings XML file to create your own Settings file.
How to Use these Examples
To use these examples, do the following:
- Open the folder containing the example you want to use.
- Copy the folder named “videokiosk” to the /sdcard on your Android device
[For more information, refer to the “How to Install Video Kiosk” Tutorial.
- Launch Video Kiosk.
Video Kiosk will now play the pre-configured example. This will give you an idea of how to set up a display similar to the one you want to create.
How to Use Create and deploy a Settings XML File
The easiest way to create a Settings xml file is to just make a copy of one of the sample xml files in the kit and edit it. Follow these steps:
- Edit the example XML File. In a Text Editor, edit the sample XML settings file of your choice.
- The XML Schema is documented in the Video Kiosk Users Manual – Appendix C Video Kiosk XML Settings.
- The XML Tags correspond to Video Kiosk’s settings. For more information about each setting, refer to the Video Kiosk Users Manual – Configuring the Settings
- For more information about editing an XML File, refer to the How to Create or Edit an XML file
- Save and Name the File XML. Ensure that you’ve named the file “videokiosk.settings.xml”.
- Move the File. Move the file onto the device either using a USB cable or over the cloud using the Cloud Update feature.
[For more information, refer to “How to use the Cloud Update Feature” ]
- Launch Video Kiosk.
How to modify the Device Settings
To modify your settings:
- Modify the Settings XML File and download to your devices. The device’s settings will update automatically – no re-start required.
Note: Your Android device settings can be changed either using the XML or by changing the settings manually on the device. We recommend that you use one method or the other, but not a hybrid of both. If you use a hybrid of both, you run the risk of overwriting your manual changes with the values in you Setting XML file