You can control the playback order of the contents of the media folder (Content Loop) using one of three methods:
- A playlist
- The file and path order
- A .pickone folder(s)
A playlist will take precedence over the other methods, so if you select a playlist, Video Kiosk will use the order contained in the .m3u8 playlist file.
Controlling the Content Loop playback order using a Playlist
Video Kiosk recognizes playlists (m3u8 files). For more information on m3u8 files, refer to M3U – Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=M3U&oldid=680180534
To use a Playlist, follow these steps:
- Create a Playlist(s).
- By default, you can put your playlist(s) in the media folder.
Optionally, you can put your playlist(s) in a different folder and configure Video Kiosk with the location of the playlist folder. Go to Video Kiosk Settings > File and Folder > Path to Playlist folder and set the path to the playlist folder.
- By default, if the sort order is set to Path or first playlist found and there is a single playlist or a playlist with the name “playlist.m3u8” in the media folder, it will be found automatically by Video Kiosk and you do not need to select a playlist in the settings.
- If you prefer to choose a playlist manually, pick a Playlist to play. Go to Video Kiosk Settings > File and Folder > Sort by and select the playlist to use from the list.
Controlling the Content Loop playback order using the File and Folder Settings
You can control the playback order of the Content Loop using the Video Kiosk File and folder > Sort by settings. When Path sort order or File name excluding path sort is selected, Video Kiosk will play the media in alphabetic order (UTF8 order) by either full path or just the file name component of the path. For more information on UTF8, refer to UTF-8 – Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title= UTF-8&oldid=683120706
To control the content loop playback order using the settings, follow these steps:
- Configure Video Kiosk with a sort order.
Go to Video Kiosk Settings > File and Folder > Sort by and set the set order. The default is Path of first playlist found.
Path or first playlist found – Sorts by path or by the first playlist found (if there is one)
Path – Sorts by full path name
File name excluding path – Sorts by file name, excluding path
Random shuffle – Sorts in a random order
Controlling the Content Loop playback order with a Pick One folder
Video Kiosk recognizes the special folder extension, .pickone, and will select just one of the files in that (sub-)folder (in a round robin fashion) each time it plays the content loop.
To use a Pick One folder, follow these steps:
- Create a folder (or number of folders), using the extension, .pickone, and put the media you want to play in the folder(s).
- Put the folders in the media folder.
Video Kiosk will select one file to play from each .pickone folder each time it plays the Content Loop.
Sort Order Considerations
There are more options you can use when configuring a sort order. For more information, refer to the Video Kiosk User’s Manual.